- This event has passed.
Rose and the Nightingale
October 12, 2019 @ 11:00 am - October 13, 2019 @ 5:00 pm$60 – $80
Rose and the Nightingale (Gol-o-Bolbol) is a two-day training workshop in Sufism, Persian Mystical Dance and Ancient Iranic Rituals with Sufi dance master and ethnologist Farima Berenij. This intensive workshop includes Poetry (Original Old Farsi Text), Ancient Iranic Whirling and Sufi Whirling (focus on Attar and Shams whirling of Khorsan and Yarsan traditions), Music Studies (understanding the Dastghah and Makhams of Iranian Sufi music (Mode and instruments used for Love, Longing, Beloved), Prayers, and ancient Iranic Mantras and Zikr based on the rotation of the Sun and Moon (Rose and Nightingale):
- Training and lectures on the symbolism and changes of the meaning of Rose and Nightingale from the Ancient Iranic rituals, to the Golden Age of Islam.
- Understanding the sense of self through Love, Longing, Separation, Beloved, Solitude.
- Erfa – Mystical Gathering and Iranic Sufi Whirling (Khorasan and Yarsan tradition, Sema of Love, Nightingale, and Vahishta) through the words of Sufi Persian Poetry and music based on Nightingale and Rose.
- Ancient Iranic Mystical Dances and Rituals inspired by Sufi Persian Poetry, Dance of the Rose & Nightingale.
- Mystical Persian Dance Choreography “Beloved” and the “Dance of the Nightingale”.
- Taking a step into Solitude – In search of the Beloved through deep listening of the heart.
- Dar Eshgh – Understanding the Unification and Becoming ‘Love’
Participants should have prior whirling experience. Early registration fee is $60-80 (sliding scale) to cover the cost of organizing the workshop. Early registration ends Oct 1, 2019.
Farima Berenji is an award-winning, internationally acclaimed performing artist, instructor, dance ethnologist, choreographer, and archeologist. Recognized as one of few world experts and scholars of Persian dance history, Farima infuses spirituality into her dance and teachings to impassion, empower, and inspire. Farima travels worldwide to research, perform, teach, and inspire dynamic creativity and rejuvenation through dance. Farima is founder and artistic director of the Simorgh Dance Collective, a member of the International Dance Council (CID-UNESCO), and a TEDx lecturer. Read more…