- This event has passed.
Poetry in Motion
June 16, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm$30
Where Movement Becomes Devotion
An interpretive, improvisational, and devotional dance form inspired by mystical and classical Persian poetry.
Persian poetry contains spiritual messages representing the Divine essence. The words in Persian poetry speak to us, revealing the emotion of our soul. Persian poetry is rhythmic—it has an essence of melody, which guides us to dance. The great Persian poets extolled dance in their poems to symbolize the power of life. Hafiz, Saadi, Omar Khayyam, Attar, and Rumi each represented dance in their verses as a spiritual instrument to become one with the Divine.
In this workshop we will
- learn to bring the graceful words of Persian poetry to life.
- move, write, and practice to various Persian poetry and poetic styles (working individually and as a group).
- learn to use imagery from the verses of poetry.
- create devotional dances and will be whirling to the sacred words of Persian Poetry (both in Farsi and English).
- learn techniques to recite Persian Poetry, find hidden messages, and use it as guidance and healing.
- sing, chant, and dance both indoors and outdoors, and whirl into ecstasy by listening to beautiful live music and poetry.
Be sure to bring inspiring poetry to read and be ready to dance with others. Farima will help demonstrate movements, illustrate technique, and lead us in recitation of Persian poetry and Poetry in Motion.
Light Snacks and refreshments will be available. Feel free to bring a snack for yourself or to share!
Or pay by bringing $30 in cash or check.